DX1 and Windows 7

Tricks and other cleverness

Moderator: BLaRG

DX1 and Windows 7

Postby rtouart on Mon May 18, 2009 4:51 pm

I installed Windows 7 RC and then followed up with Microsoft Virtual PC and Virtual WinXP. The new version of Virtual PC has USB handling and seems to do a good job with Ergodex Manager 1.3 passing commands from the Virtual PC to Windows 7 programs. It may be overkill but hey, it works...so far.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtua ... nload.aspx
rtouart

Re: DX1 and Windows 7

Postby Serus on Wed May 20, 2009 8:55 am

I was wondering if it would work. I JUST booted up with W7 and of course the only thing not working is the ergodex. Once I figure out the windows XP emulation thing I'll give it a go. Glad to see it works though I doubt Ergodex is going to support 7 since they never supported vista.

Edit: Ha, thanks for the link! Just what I needed. It kind of sucks that this solution isn't going to work for people with older hardware. Also the fact that this is only going to be available in the business, enterprise and ultimate versions upon release is kind of a downer. Guess I'm going to have to go top-of-the-line with the OS again..ugh. Vista Ultimate I got for free from MS, but doubt I'll get a copy of 7.

Thanks again for the info!

Edit Again: I wasn't able to get the virtual machine to use the DX1. I got the software installed, it recogonized when I pushed a key, it programmed a key while in a program on the VM, but it wouldn't actually do what I programmed it to do. ie, button 1 should push M, it didn't. It was programmed right, but wouldn't input the key. Let me know if you got it going beyond that.

Also, Robs driver still seems to work, you just have to run the program (DX1Utility) in Vista SP2 compatibility mode.
Last edited by Serus on Wed May 20, 2009 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Serus

Re: DX1 and Windows 7

Postby rtouart on Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:01 pm

I had to "Attach" the DX1 in VirtualXp then do the programming then "Release" it to use in Windows 7. That worked fine until I prgrammed a text block macro which locked up the DX1 to the point I would have to unplug it and reboot. Definitely not worth the effort.

I'm now using the Vista driver in Windows 7, programming single keys and I'm using HotkeyNet to convert the single keystrokes to key combinations using keys such as Scroll Lock as modifiers.
rtouart

Return to Tips on using the DX1